Warning To Parents – 16 Year Old Dies After Drinking Too Much Caffeine

It’s a parent’s worst nightmare – losing a child.  For a South Carolina family, they are still in shock over the loss of their healthy 16 year old son who died from heart problems after drinking too much caffeine.

Authorities say Davis Cripe drank a large Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink in the two hours before his heart fell out of rhythm at Spring Hill High School near Chapin on April 26.  The teen had no pre-existing heart conditions that might have caused him to collapse and die in a classroom last month.

Doctors say parents need to talk to their kids about drinking caffeine.  While a soda or a cup of coffee is OK for teens, large amounts of caffeine can be deadly.

-Dianah Gibson