Brought to you by Stroup Flooring America
It’s the perfect time of the year to get cozy and make a pot of your favorite soup. This week, I was craving chicken noodle! I’ve always just grabbed a can of chicken noodle or gone out for it at a restaurant, but this time, I wanted to make my own!
It was way easier than I thought and only took 30 minutes! I could have used a rotisserie chicken, but I had chicken breasts that I needed to cook, so I made those instead. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Chop your veggies! 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 2 large carrots), 1 cup celery, sliced thin (about 2 stalks), 1 cup sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small (about 1 medium onion). In a large dutch oven, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add your vegetables and saute for 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften; then add mined garlic and saute for another 2 minutes longer.
Next, add the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender. I suggest adding extra broth, if you’d like, the noodles and chicken will soak it up quickly overnight if you save it. You could add an additional 64 oz.
Then, add your egg noodles (or whatever your favorite pasta is), boil for 10 minutes until soft.
Finally, add the chicken, parsley, some lemon juice to brighten up the flavor, and boil 1 to 2 minutes, or until chicken is warmed through. Add salt to taste.
**Remember to remove the bay leaved before serving.
INGREDIENTS: I got the recipe here!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 1 1/2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if desired
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles (or your favorite noodles or pasta)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- salt, to taste